My quick and easy version of a southern classic with my own twist! I hope you guys try it out and enjoy!!
For the shrimp:
1 pound peeled and deviened medium shrimp
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1/2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1Tbs tomato paste
1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 chicken bouillon cube (or salt and pepper)
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp olive oil
For the grits:
2 cups water
1/2 cup quick cooking grits
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 Tbsp salt (or to taste)
For the cream cheese toast:
4-6 slices of Italian or French bread
3 Tbsp softened cream cheese
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1. In a small saucepan, bring all of the ingredients for the grits to a boil
2. Slowly stir in grits with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
3. Let the grits come back to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low
4. Heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat
5. Add the onions and stir until they are soft about 5 minutes.
6. Add the bell peppers and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, bullion cube, and Italian seasoning and let that cook for about 3 minutes.
7. Add the shrimp and 1/4 cup of water and let simmer until shrimp are done (about 5 minutes)
8. For the cream cheese toast, stir together the Italian seasoning with the softened cream cheese and spread it on the bread slices.
9. Turn the oven on to broil and place the bread as close to the broiler as possible just until the cream cheese starts to brown (2 to 4 minutes) or toast them in a toaster oven.
10. Everything is done!! Plate up and enjoy!!